Sunday, February 13, 2011

Homeschooling

Last school year I was only homeschooling Song. And that was enough. I have been homeschooling her since 1st grade. She's in 5th now. Not that I think the public schools are bad, I used to work in Special Education in a public school. I don't think they are set up to handle Song's needs though. There were automatic flush toilets, not good for a child who has bathroom fears/preoccupations. She also was getting her work done really quick in 1st grade, then annoying the other kids. Her desk and area around her desk was ALWAYS a mess. her name was always on the board. She was always in someone's space, always talking, having tantrums. Her teacher would send her work home for me to do with her. The last straw was when she drew a picture in Art class of a goat peeing, pooping, and having babies. That is when therapy began for her. Diagnosis: PTSD, RAD, suspected sexual abuse.

Pixie and Digger did first grade in public school. They had very different experiences. Pixie is a control freak, bossy, things don't bother her as much. It's like she doesn't care who likes her or not. She was taking things from other children in the class, little trinkets(these are her favorite things). She was still a foster child for us, but I easily got permission to homeschool her to give her the chance to bond here. It seemed there were too many hours at school, and not enough at home where we could be a family.

Digger has ADHD, but is a sweetheart. He has bonded, he knows we are his family. He was having trouble at school because he was getting bullied. He had a dark tooth, from an infant injury, he has speech problems, and he has big ears. I love his ears, they stick out. Other kids didn't like them very much. He was getting teased, had been hit twice the last week of 1st grade (once in the face with a schoolbag!). The child who was bullying lost part of recess. That was it.

After much consideration I decided they would both do 2nd grade at home with me. So far so good. there is noone for Pixie to manipulate. Digger is not getting bullied. We are building a new house on our land in a nearby town. Now I have to decide whether to try public school again for my littlest 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment