Saturday, January 30, 2010

To Respite or Not to Respite

I have recently begun reading the blog of a woman who is caring for her 12 year old niece who has Reactive Attachment Disorder. I won't go into her whole story except to say she is dealing with some very serious issues. There appears to be no support in her area, she is not getting the support of her niece's therapist, and her niece's behaviors have spiraled to the point that law enforcement has become involved. On top of all of this, she is about to lose her home, and cannot find work because of the amount of time she must devote to her niece's healing. She will be getting a respite this weekend from her parents.

My heart is hurting for her tonight. I don't even know her, and I can feel her pain. I had moments when I too questioned whether I was helping my child. I often wondered if she would be better with a younger family, in a residential treatment facility, on medication. Using respite, although it gave me a much needed rest, caused regression because Song would be so charming the family would spoil her. I never did find a respite person who would not fall under her spell, and then I would have to deal with the fallout when she returned home. I even had respite providers tell the agency THEY would adopt her if we didn't. I would pick her up, and she would have lovely little trinkets they had given her, or candy. Of course they would have to be taken from her, and then she would start on a rage. It simply was not worth using respite. After three attempts, I stopped using respite.

IF YOU are a respite provider for a child with Reactive Attachment Disorder, please do not buy them gifts or candy. In the beginning stages of their healing, these things should only come from the mother who cares for the child. If you give the child these things, they will use it as a weapon against the mother. It will be more proof in their mind that the mother doesn't love them because SHE doesn't give the child these things. RAD kids hold everything against the mom. It is your job as a respite provider to make the child appreciate their own home, not to make the child like YOU.

IF YOU need respite for your child with RAD, please be very choosy. Make it clear what your expectations of the respite are. This is not a vacation for the child. This is a rest for YOU because this child has raged and drained you of your strength. Make it clear that your child should have chores, no TV or electronics, and no gifts of any kind. They should not get to choose what they eat. (If children don't like what I serve for dinner, I tell them I hope they will like what is for breakfast.)No phone privileges; they cannot call mom. They need to wonder why mom is not calling them. Is she having fun? Doesn't she miss me?

I worry for my blogging friend. I hope her parents are not easily manipulated, and I hope her RADish comes home appreciating the home she is trying to give her.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for thinking of me and being concerned for me. Your post is so right on regarding respite care and children with RAD. I'm at the point with my niece that there isn't much difference between her behavior before and after respite care that I'm not concerned with the aftermath. They do not do the things that you talk about and I don't force it on them. I should ask them to but It took a while just to feel like my niece was safe around them without me. That they could handle her and be suspicious enough to not let her be on her own for too long. For a long time I couldn't let my niece around my mom alone because my mom couldn't handle it. My mom somewhere in the last few months have figured out how to be around her without letting her push her buttons too much. My mom once bit her on the arm bruising her. It boggled my mind. But anyway, somehow she has pulled it together and is able to be there for us right now. There is still a lot of room for improvement, but you take what you can get sometimes. Right now, my niece loves spending time with Grandma. Usually she considers Grandma annoying. But I told my mom it's because she is nicer to her than anyone right now. I've gotten her to stop buying her stuff but Grandma will do her nails and play with her. My niece will come home glad to be here, want to be, but never appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. been away for awhile, but can't seem to find your blog. can you link me somehow? have you stopped blogging? I hope not. thinking about you, and wondering how YOU are doing. :)

      Delete
  2. It sounds like your mom and dad mean well, but they don't really know HOW to support you and Penelope. Having that conversation is difficult, but so important for Penelope. She has to know that you, your mom, and dad are united.

    ReplyDelete