Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cline? Thomas? Who to Read

The answer is READ THEM ALL!!! But, in saying that, understand that some of the things you read will get you in major trouble if you follow their advice. Check with your therapist/agency before putting into practice any RAD therapeutic strategies.

Nancy Thomas- I LOVE Nancy Thomas! I have so much admiration for her. But, you have to remember she has dealt with the worst of the worst. She has taken in children who have killed. One piece of advice she gives is that it's ok to put a child out of the car and allow them to walk if they are misbehaving. We'll assume she means a short distance, and only if the child is able to make good choices while they ARE walking. A parent I know put a child with mental health issues out of the car, and ended up being investigated because another foster parent called CYS and reported the incident. Make sure it is in your child's safety plan BEFORE you take advice you read in a book.

Brita St Clair- 99 Ways to Drive Your Child Sane- Ideas such as putting peas around the room of a bedwetter and then collecting the peas and serving peas (not the same ones) for dinner. I found this book to be full of ideas I would NEVER use. There were days I didn't have the energy to do dumb things. Alot of the book was teasing the child, although she says never do any of it in a mean way. If anyone wants the book, do NOT waste your money. Give me your address and I will send you my copy.

Foster Cline- Parenting with Love and Logic. I read this book every few months. It sits on my night stand. I love the thought that protecting these children is not loving them. They have to learn from their mistakes. If you constantly get in between them and the consequences for their actions, they won't have to learn. You'll see alot of Cline's influence when I deal with my children, especially with Pixie. :)

Gregory C Keck- Parenting The Hurt Child- Helping Adoptive Families Heal and Grow- Really hands on advice. Advice from adoptees, mothers, therapists/ all perspectives. This book includes lots of scenarios, and step by step what to say/do.

No comments:

Post a Comment