Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Fighting the Fight

It's been so long since I wrote, I decided to catch up on all the goings on.

First of all, Pixie is now free to be adopted! Yay! The bio parents have appealed to the superior court, and lost. They could have appealed to the Supreme Court, but their lawyers have told CYS they will not do that.

Pixie is my wild card. I don't know for sure that she has RAD, but she sure has all the signs. Control, being bossy, manipulative, poop issues, superficially loving. I know they say you should get a diagnosis, but really? at this point, we KNOW what to do. It's not that labeling another of my kiddos with RAD would hurt anything. It wouldn't. It also won't change anything, and as for having resources and therapists etc...no thanks. I have had my fill. This is my fight, my battle for them. I don't want her medicated, and I don't need help, so what's the reason to take her to be evaluated. Daily we deal with feelings, consequences. She is doing well in school, but if she does have trouble, I'll home school her as well.

Homeschooling a RADish isn't easy. It's also not always fun. Today Song had to read 2pages in Science, and answer one question thoughtfully. She wouldn't. She kept asking for help, started crying, whining, and complaining that this isn't a "real" school, so I cancelled school for the day. She got to sit and do nothing. Tomorrow I hope she makes a different choice, if not, she can sit again. There is nothing else I can do. It's a control thing, she wants control. This is why we have school in the summer too. I have to make sure she has enough days for the school year. I start early so I have days in the bank for when she acts like this.

Harsh? Maybe so. But, I can't put the pencil in her hand and make her work, I can't scream at her until she does because she won't, and I can't give her the answers.

Digger also had an off day. This morning he was in my room at 6am playing with the puppy, I asked what he was doing, he said going to the bathroom. I said "There?" And then he got up to use the bathroom. I took him back to his room, walked out, counted to 5 (do I know my children?) and went back in. He was standing on a rickety Lego table. Tonight when he was done his shower, he was being very quiet. I went in. he was on the floor, I asked what he was doing. He said "I fell". I had him stand where I could watch him for a few minutes to be sure he was ok, and wouldn't "fall" again. My little ADHD boy just gets sidetracked.

Life is busy, and crazy sometimes, but someone has to fight the fight for them.

To my friend in Ohio. Keep fighting! The fact that you are still there for your niece speaks volumes. When everyone else walks away, therapists, Dr's, teachers, administrators, friends someone has to be left standing. You are taking a different route than I am, but we are both in the trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment